Monday, October 15, 2012

Coffee and Keyboard


Yesterday Jim and I had gone to Port Townsend to pick up groceries and order a case of gluten-free beer at the wine shop, but as often happens, we end up eating lunch at our favorite place, which sprawls into an afternoon just hanging out.  Our friend Marian had shown us this sweet coffee shop on the water that makes their own chai (yay), so I took Jim there.  While he was ordering his exquisite coffee and my chai, I grabbed a table and found an interesting model engrossed in his laptop.  I tried to make it look like I was sketching the pier outside, so he wouldn't feel his privacy was being invaded.

Most of the sketch was done with Daniel Smith's Prima-Tek watercolors, made with ground, semi-precious minerals, like Tiger Eye, Hematite, Garnet, Red Fuchsite, Amethyst and Green Apatite.  For the shadows and the fake "paper", I borrowed a little help from Inktense pencils.   Staedtler pigment liner pens for the ink outlines.  The foam in the chai was made with a white gel pen.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks like four different pieces of paper... but it's a "tromp of the oil", isn't it? Very nice sketching, and then nesting of images! hmmm, coffee....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is. I'm stealing a little technique from a past life as a graphic artist, and playing with organizing sketches, painting and journaling in the trompe l'oeil pieces-of-aged-paper-thingie. So far I'm having a great time with it, but sometimes it does look a little like advertising. If Jim and I are waiting for the car to be serviced, or just taking a tea-break, I'll pull out the Moleskine and do some advanced pages of layers, ready to be sketched in on another day. This one I'd done weeks ago, but only found a good subject to fill it last Saturday.

    ReplyDelete