Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Crossing On The Black Ball (Coho)


Another sketch from Jim's and my recent visit to Vancouver Island, B.C.   As we sipped our tea/coffee at a nearby table in the dining area of the Blackball Ferry, I noticed a woman sitting at the end table near the exit, who appeared a little distraught.  Another woman came and went periodically who seemed to be traveling with her, so I knew she wasn't alone, but was very distracted by her thoughts.   I couldn't help but notice the range of items on the walls around her that symbolized drama and crisis, so I gave in to the impulse to sketch the scene in my little Moleskine.  

As often happens, the face that came out of my pen onto the paper refused to be distraught and instead portrayed peaceful contemplation, so I went with it.  When I finished the sketch, the figure seemed more to symbolize a state of calm and equilibrium within an implied state of chaos.  I like it.  

4 comments:

  1. This is dramatic- but maybe more positive than it first appears. There's the saying about seeing the rifle on the wall, in a movie, that presages a violent act. But here, there is a hatchet for escape. I think red can be a liberating color, because it's the color of action. Hmmm, not to project my images on your art too much... but that is what viewers do with emotion-laden art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my greatest rewards as an artist, as it probably is for you and Roger too, is the interesting input from viewers. It's almost like it finishes the piece.... or at least fills it out as time goes on! I love the idea of the liberating color of red, which fits together with a personal circumstance going on in my life right now. The color of action! I believe more as time goes on, that my work and maybe that of others, is full of the artist's life symbolism. At least it's more an entertaining concept than tea leaf-reading! Thanks, as always, for the perspective, I get much from yours and Roger's insight, as I do your work.

      Delete
  2. I think the whole sketch conveys a calm quality. Or maybe I'm just remembering many quiet, smooth crossings on the Coho. This sketch evokes the memories very effectively. It's a great ferry- and obviously, ready for action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger! As frightened as I am of the water, it seems odd that I love boats so much. I do also love crossing on the ferry, even when the waters get pretty rough out in the middle of the Strait! And the "wall of action" I was inspired to draw (before I knew it could be part of a story) I found thrilling. It harkened back to college classes in Radiation Physics when I learned about potential energy. Hopefully at some point it wouldn't convert to kinetic energy!

      Delete