Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Beyond The Crevice In Our Understanding


This is a painfully inadequate photo taken on my iPad of a new abstract painting I've done (I couldn't fit it onto my scanner) as a homework assignment for my new online class with Karine Swenson, a marvelous painter. It's called, Abstraction: Diving Deeper. It's not the first abstract I did for this course, but it's the one I'm satisfied with....a bit. It incorporates my familiar pigment spills with acrylic painting on watercolor paper, with texture created from Golden Molding Paste.  The molding paste was then painted over, and sanded back, to interesting effect, I think.  I've had mixed reactions from fellow students. What do you think, should I move on to canvas or board from paper?  It would solve some of the wrinkle problems, maybe.  



6 comments:

  1. Breathtaking - Only word to describe it.The brightness and structure of reef like anenomes draws the eye,and you keep seeing nuances in the lava like structure. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Unknown! I like the comparison with reefs and anemones you've drawn.

      Delete
  2. Hi Elsbeth, Nice blog! thanks for the kind comments about my class and my paintings. You could actually mount your paper onto a board and then work on that surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Karine! Thanks for the recommendation, I guess I should've asked you on email or PM! Being new to painting on oaper with acrylics, that hadn't occurred to me. Good idea, thanks.

      Delete
  3. Hi Elsbeth ... I have been avoiding commenting on this painting since you put it up. Why? I'm not sure, actually. I've had some sort of deep emotional response to it which I can't quite describe as yet. It actually scares me a little ... like digging so deep into my own soul I might find the dark spot I have not acknowledged, but have a knowing of it's existence. I don't usually have such strong emotional responses to paintings ... I hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts with you. It feels like if I ever began to dig deeper into the surface 'cuts', there would not be any way I could ever stop. It has moved me in an incredible way. Thank you for sharing. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am encouraged that my work evokes an emotional response in others, Donna. It's interesting the wide variety of responses I've had to this painting. No, I don't mind you sharing your thoughts. The viewer is the other half of the art. I hope there is some healing there for you.

      Delete