Friday, July 13, 2012

Northwest Landscape Mosaic


This painting was mostly an exercise, playing with combinations of my Inktense pencils in colored swatches (oops, you can tell I once knitted, long ago).   Once on the watercolor paper, I thought it would be fun to make the squares a multi-colored lens through which one could view the scenes I love so much on the Olympic Peninsula.   

Yesterday Jim and I took the ferry over to Whidbey Island to meet a friend who has a foundry, and who'd met us there to return a couple of my bronze sculpture molds to us.   While on the island, I treated Jim to a wonderful rooftop lunch in Langley, as I'd made a couple of bronze sales recently.   The ferry we took over from Port Townsend had slowed midway across the water, and sounded it's fog horn numerous times.... we were caught in a patch of fog which cleared by the time we docked on Whidbey.   We learned later that fog had eliminated three of the ferry runs that day, and the reservation we had to go back home at 6 PM stretched to 7:30 PM, as they needed to play catch-up with all the backed up traffic before nightfall.  Oh, well, it was certainly magical countryside in which to pass the time as we waited.   And after all, once on Whidbey Island, you're on island time, so anything can happen!

4 comments:

  1. It looks convincingly like fabric- very interesting! Did you return before the weird thunderstorm started?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marian. We did indeed. As we crossed to PT, a strange, brilliant cliff of cloud loomed above us, and as we drove home, it stretched outward, as if in pursuit of our escaping Tardis... I mean Prius. It turned burnt pink and I began to wonder if would produce lightning and thunder. It so did. But we were safely back on Earth... I mean in Blyn. We stood on the deck and quickly sealed up the tear between the parallel universes, but we lost Rose in the process. We will never be the same again.

      Delete
    2. Wow. I sent emails to you and Jim the next day, but the tear in the fabric of the universe trapped them and an echo of their undeliverability reached me. I guess a lot of lightning is generated when the Tardis travels through the wormhole, too.

      Delete
  2. I hadn't thought of that, but you may be right. That may explain the charred paint around our afterburners. Do you believe that it was not an insidious attack by the dread Darliks, but only static from our fleeing craft? How embarrassing. The Doctor will not let us live it down for the rest of eternity. You wouldn't happen to have a seam ripper, would you? I need to get Rose out of the void. Maybe your emails will come tumbling out, as well.

    ReplyDelete