Friday, April 18, 2014

Manresa Castle Revisited


One of my most favorite subjects for sketches is Manresa Castle, in Port Townsend, a local landmark and hotel.  As some of you have seen on this blog, I did a sketch some time ago (May 24th 2012), but it was another view, on toned paper, with monochromatic Conte crayons.  It was earlier in the year, the trees were bare.  And I drew it from the interior of our warm car in the parking lot across the street, while waiting for Jim to be done with his allergy shots in Jefferson Medical shortstay.  

Yesterday Jim was again getting stabbed with needles in each arm (poor guy), so I actually got out of the car and wandered over to the Manresa parking lot, and sketched with my tiny watercolor kit.  I was standing in one of the last few empty parking spots, so I almost got run over, twice, but I stood my ground.  I took the attitude that my work took precedence over their silly vacation, and glowered at them until they backed up and drove away.  Most of the window details, shading, and greenery went on that evening after we drove home.  One of these days, I'll actually have to go inside and see if I "sense" the oft reported haunting, or at least eat in the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment